Tote That Mat
Make this wonderful carry bag to take all your equipment, including cutter-boards and rulers, to your next class or guild day. This is a three-lesson class with the option of making two different blocks for each of the two large pockets, a beginner's block and an advanced block. Or if you are enthusiastic, you can make all four blocks. There are additional instructions on how to make any spare blocks into cushions or throw pillows. This class is also available as a pattern, only including two block instructions.
Please note: Amounts are for full widths unless otherwise stated. Directional fabrics can be hard to match in pieced blocks and would require extra yardage.
Requirements for blocks are given separately and are additional to Tote requirements. The colors given are for my blocks to give you an indication of where each fabric is required.
I have given ample amounts in block requirements. You may find you have extra fabric from the tote fabrics to use in place of these or if you are working from your stash, slightly smaller amounts may be enough.
Ruth recommends 100% cotton for all fabric pieces
- 27" x 36" (70cm x 92cm) rectangle for Tote outside
- 27" x 36" (70cm x 92cm) rectangle for Tote inside (this may be the same as tote outside fabric)
- 43" (1.10m) pocket linings
- 27" (.7m) binding fabric (you may wish to purchase more of this for additional pockets)
- 29" (.75m) pocket fabric
- 20" (.5m) matching 1/2" ribbon for button tabs
- 73" x 1 yard wide (2m x 90cm wide) compressed Dacron or fine needle-punch batting
- 10" (25cm) soft 1/4" elastic (optional)
- sewing machine and accessories
- iron and pressing mat
- suitable thread for piecing and constructing tote
- thread for quilting
- fabric pencil or pen for marking
- pins/safety pins
- masking tape
- rotary cutter, mat, and rulers
- FOUR 2" squares of scrap fabric for accuracy test
- permanent fine tip marker
- Velcro dots (optional)
Beginner’s Block Lesson One
- 6" (15 cm) Fabric A (orange)
- 6" (15 cm) Fabric B for block background (black)
- 4 1/2" square for center which can be a fabric motif (cat fabric)
- 6" (15 cm) Fabric C block border fabric (not shown)
Advanced Block Lesson One
- 4" (10cm) Fabric A (pale cream)
- 6" (15cm) Fabric B (black)
- 4" (10cm) Fabric C (dark orange)
- 8" (20cm) Fabric E (gold & light orange - picture shows two fabrics here)
- 6" (15cm) Fabric F (medium orange)
Beginner’s Block Lesson Two
- 4" (10cm) Fabric A (navy)
- 4" (10cm) Fabric B (light blue - fabrics B & C can be the same)
- 6" (15cm) Fabric C (light blue - corners of motif)
- 9 1/2" square Fabric D for center diamond (You may wish to use a motif fabric for this)
Advanced Block Lesson Two
- 6" (15cm) Fabric A (pale blue - corner squares and large outside triangles)
- 6" (15cm) Fabric B (pale blue - fabrics A & B can be the same)
- 8" (20cm) Fabric C (navy)
- 6" (15cm) Fabric D (dolphin print)
Cushion requirement (for one)
- one pieced block
- backing fabric for block – size of block plus 2"
- batting – size of block plus 2"
- cushion backing fabric –
- TWO 22 1/2" x 12 1/2" rectangles (16" block)
- TWO 20 1/2" x 11 1/2" rectangles (13 1/2" block)
- cushion border – 8" (20cm) full width of fabric
- fastenings for cushion closure
- cushion inner (pillow form in size to match block being used)
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.