April Showers is a quilt pattern with pieced background and applique umbrellas. Leave it at that or create a textured background with stitching, beads and couching. This quilt is a great idea for to use up some of the ends of your 2-1/2" jelly roll strips. The pattern includes all the stitching designs as well as templates for four different sized umbrellas and background. Use the facing instructions included or bind your quilt instead. This pattern is very versatile and one of the great advantages is, you can adjust the size very easily to suit the area where you want to display it in.
Instructions give details on how-to free-motion stitch and tips on piecing curves as well as applique. If you have never made an art quilt before, this is a great place to start. If you want to practice your free-motion, this is definitely a fun project to practice on. Try your favorite or new stitch designs or use the various designs included in the pattern.
- 2-1/2" strips approx 17" long. 9-10 strips needed (at least 5 should be different)
- Scraps of bright fabrics for umbrella canopies
- Scraps of black for umbrella handles
- ONE 3" strip full width of fabric (WOF) (top and bottom border)
- ONE 3" strip WOF (side borders) Note: for a longer quilt you will need 2 strips
- A small amount of fusible webbing
- Batting & Backing fabric 3-4" larger than the finished piece
- ONE 6" strip WOF (facing) - alternatively 1/4-1/2 yd of binding fabric
- Machine Embroidery threads to match umbrella fabrics
- Decorative threads for background stitching (these may include matching & contrast
- threads, rayon, metallic, embroidery, variegated and more)
- Fusible interfacing 3-4" larger than finished piece (Optional) Interfacing helps prevent stitching from puckering and the quilt from shrinking while stitching especially with free-motion. The stitching on the back can also be covered later with the backing fabric
- Freezer paper 12" x 16" or larger if increasing project size (Optional)
- Creative art yarn (Optional)
- Beads (Optional)
We also email you the 'Thank You' to your email inbox which includes the link to download your pattern. Please check your spam/junk box if you do not receive this.
Here is a full list of things to try:
- Ensure that no pop up blockers are enabled
- Ensure you are using a stable connection - wifi is better than phone data
- Clear your cache and cookies
- Try a different web browser, as well as private windows to rule out any browser issues
- Ensure the web browser is up to date and that the latest device software is up to date
- Try another device, like another computer, tablet, or mobile phone
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.