I've been thinking about what method to use to finish off my challenge piece. Although I have loved creating it using the different elements (words) to work and especially working with the silk I'm not sure the overall design is something I would hang on my wall. Knowing this I've decided to look at different sections of it to perhaps chop up for a series of mini displays.
The easiest way to do this is to cut out a cardboard window and use my camera to take snapshots of various sections.
Here is a series of snapshots of different areas.
the whole leaf
Even the one with only a small bit of leaf looks great...
...unfortunately some of these options overlap so I won't be able to use them all.
Using the frame I marked in four outlines that included leaves.... can you see the white outlines?
...and then cut them out.
You can see I still have quite a bit left over which prompted me to cut out another couple that didn't include any part of a leaf. Now I have 6.
I could make a bunch of frames and hang them together or one big frame connected so the windows are in a row. One last idea one I think I will go with is to make a bunch of coasters.
There are a number of ways I could finish off the edges. I could possibly bind them or simply stitch around them. I decided on the latter. Using an overlocking stitch on my sewing machine I stitched entirely around the outside then I used a straight stitch to stitch around again basically connecting the dots of the 'bite' created from the first stitching.
It didn't take me long to get around all six!
my six coasters