Beginners Stained Glass
Briefly: Learn stained glass applique skills by creating a special Christmas Poinsettia project.
Tutor: Ruth Blanchet
Finished Size: 20" x 26"
Number of Lessons: 2
This online class for this Christmas project is a poinsettia appliqued in stained glass style. With just two lessons, this project can be made very quickly as it is quilted all at the same time. A fun, fast and exciting technique.
This is a beginners to advanced course in stained glass applique and is a delightful project for any quilter. There is no quilting required and all stitching can be done with straight stitch. You can make it in no time at all with pre-made bias or make your own original bias with the instructions included. A fun easy quilt which makes an ideal Christmas gift.
Class workshop include instructions for making your own bias binding and fusible tape as an alternative to purchasing pre-made bias. There are two methods, you may choose either or try both.
Either method requires:
- 1/2 yd fabric for bias
- 1yd fusible webbing or ONE 40ft pack of 5mm fusible tape
- Method One only: requires a 1/4" or 3/8" bias bar
- Method Two only: requires a 1/4" bias tape maker
Full discussions about equipment are included in the first lesson to help you decide.
If you do not wish to make your own bias binding you will need 9 yds of Fusible Bias Binding OR Bias Binding & pack of 40ft 5mm fusible tape. Recommended: 11 yd Fusible Bias Binding on reel made by Clover .
- ONE x fat quarter Border Fabric
- 3/4 yd Background Fabric
- Small amounts of red and green fabric for applique
- Yellow/gold 1/2" beads or buttons
- 1/4 yd Binding Fabric
- 3/4 yd Backing Fabric
- 3/4 yd Batting
- 1yd fusible webbing
- Black Thread or thread to match bias binding
- Sewing machine and accessories
- Quilting pencil or removable marking pen
- General quilting tools such as rotary cutter, mats, rulers, pins, safety pins, etc
- Teflon Sheet, parchment paper or baking paper
- Lightbox may be useful